digibutter.nerr Forum Index
Hey [you]! If you haven't noticed, this is now the old digibutter forums. Go over to the new site!
digibutter.nerr
It's Hi-Technicaaal!

[Review] Rock Band: Unplugged

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    digibutter.nerr Forum Index -> Gaming News & Reviews
Shadow Kingdom
Spell Seal
Burning

HP: 80 MP: 0 Lives: 3

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 2:38 pm   Reply with quote

When I found that my PSP was stolen, the first thing we had to do was replace it. So my mom bought me the PSP bundle with Rock Band Unplugged on it. I was not expecting much. I did not expect a good game.
Needless to say, I was pleasantly surprised.

Gameplay:
This game follows the same formula as the other Rock Band games. Press buttons to "play" an instrument. I was wondering, how could this possible work? Will it be like Guitar Hero when you play with the controller? Well, it was better. It is rather like Guitar Hero: On Tour, in that it has only four colors of notes, but it certainly does not cost nearly as much. You press buttons to play notes. Right for red, up for yellow, triangle for green, and circle for blue. All instruments use these buttons. That includes vocals. You activate Overdrive with X or down. Now, this works surprisingly well. I would occasionally get confused and push the wrong button, but never often enough to ruin the fun. I tend to miss notes when activating overdrive, but such flaws were to be expected. Now, you play all four instruments. At the same time. You press L and R to switch between instruments. You must play phrases from an instrument correctly in order to get it to play itself. If done correctly you will only have notes coming on one instrument at a time. Completing phrases adds to your point multiplier. 1-5 without overdrive, 2,4,6,8 and 11 with overdrive. 5 and 11 are "Band Groove," which is achieved by stringing five phrases together. This causes blue bars on the side of the screen to flash in time with the beat, and causes slight distortion around the edges of the screen. Also a large blue background will appear at the moment you achieve band groove, with BAND GROOVE! in big red letters. Based on your point multiplier, you will receive a point bonus at the end of phrases. 2,000-11,000. While the gameplay is quite chaotic, it is also quite fun.8/10
Music:
Same thing you have come to expect from previous installments of the series. Good quality rock of all sorts. It certainly does have good rock, but the decision of adding ABC by the Jackson 5 was admittedly quite odd. I like the song, but it just doesn't really fit. While I dislike some of the songs, they certainly fit in with the rock theme. It obviously lacks the vast number of songs that the console Rock Bands have, but downloadable content will help remedy this. 8.5/10
Graphics:
The same excellent graphics one has come to expect from the PSP. It looks very much like its next-gen console counterparts. There is really not much else to say here, aside from the fact that is does not have as many on-screen effects that will show during concerts. 9/10
Story:
You are a band. You are traveling the world for money and fame. Really not much else to say. Impressive I suppose for a rhythm game. Few rhythm games even have a story. You just press buttons to music for no particular reason. 7.5/10
Overall, or TL;DR:
The gameplay is surprisingly good, soundtrack is wonderful, graphics are excellent, story exists. Buy it.
AVERAGE SCORE (rounded to nearest tenth): 8.8/10
DISGUISE KIT    
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    digibutter.nerr Forum Index -> Gaming News & Reviews