digibutter.nerr Forum Index
Hey [you]! If you haven't noticed, this is now the old digibutter forums. Go over to the new site!
digibutter.nerr
It's Hi-Technicaaal!

So... anyone into TCGs?
Goto page Previous  1, 2  
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    digibutter.nerr Forum Index -> General Discussion
Bartz Klauser
BAMFing ARCHER
Werewolf

HP: 100 MP: 5 Lives: 4

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 5:32 pm   Reply with quote

Goron Mask wrote:
Back in the 3rd grade, pokemon cards were like the shit...we didn't play the game right but hell it was fun showing off all our sweet ass cards, I didn't really get anything good though ever and all my friends had like cards that were actually good. Then next year everyone moved on to Yu-Gi-Oh cards and I didn't bother with TCG after that.
Those were the days, mirite?

And I remember buying cards all the time. Hell, once for my birthday, I bought a deck and one of those bigger-than usual Bionicle sets. I still have them, the deck's somewhere in a box, and that Bionicle set is in parts, have to find the instruction manual to put it back together.
The Town of Lix    
Yellow Magikoopa
Vampire

HP: 100 MP: 4 Lives: 0

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 5:42 pm   Reply with quote

Vid Inferno wrote:
No, they don't make particular pokemon cards illegal. They just rotate out the older sets come a certain time every year or so. So you can't use cards that are years old or anything, they have to be in a certain time frame. That time frame is over a year old, so if you've got any pokemon card from the Diamond and Pearl sets onwards, plus promos and certain packs, you can use them. They never ban specific cards, though. There's also often reprints of certain cards, so if you've got a 10 year old Potion, you can still use it since it was reprinted. The same goes for many pokemon, trainers, and energy.

That's really just typical tourneyfaggotry, they're never comfortable with using the entire array of cards, regardless of the card's age or some other mundane factor which doesn't affect the game. It's all about showing off their sweet-ass Palkia or shit and not recognizing the classics. TCGs can piss me off sometimes.
Pipe Land Goods    
that confounded bridge
Abstract
Vampire

HP: 82 MP: 10 Lives: 3

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 6:48 pm   Reply with quote

I remember when I was younger, I collected Pokemon cards and Yu-Gi-Oh cards. I had to pay for them myself most of the time, since, well... we weren't very well off.

Never played the game; I just liked the pictures on the cards, and I really wanted to fit in, lol.
some shop lol    
Yellow Magikoopa
Vampire

HP: 100 MP: 4 Lives: 0

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 7:05 pm   Reply with quote

That's how a lot of people were.

I actually got into TCGs when a couple of my friends like a year ago found their old cards and thought it'd be cool to actually play them. Needless to say, it was pretty kickass.

Oh, and Vid? You aren't limited to DP on up. There are decks and such that have a mixture of Stormfront and the works with Jungle, Fossil, etc.
Pipe Land Goods    
i am the sandwich
Vid Inferno
Vampire

HP: 73 MP: 0 Lives: 7

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 7:55 pm   Reply with quote

Marx wrote:
Oh, and Vid? You aren't limited to DP on up. There are decks and such that have a mixture of Stormfront and the works with Jungle, Fossil, etc.
Yes, you can do that, but you can't compete in an actual tournament with it. You can still battle with friends, or even at league. At my Pokemon TCG League, they don't care if you use tournament-illegal cards. They try to help you to make your deck legal, but you can still battle, win points, and whatever you would normally do with a legal deck. I'm not sure how other leagues handle it, but the place is pretty loose. The only things you really can't do is battle in a big tournament like Battle Road, Championships, and so forth.

That being said, the old cards, especially from the first sets, are pretty bad. The old cards back then had about 100 HP at the highest, and pretty bad attacks with some high energy costs. They really don't fit with the new decks, the old cards just can't compete with anything past Hoenn.

And one last thing, the old cards don't exactly work with the new cards completely. As in, compatible. They reinvented the rules to an extent, especially trainer cards. All of the old cards are just plain trainers, which you can play at any time, as many as you want. Ever since the EX sets, you're restricted to only one supporter per turn, but as many trainers as you want. So you can play four of Bill (Draw two cards) in one turn, but by the new rules, one would be restricted to play only one Mom's Kindness (Draw two cards) per turn. Basically, if you were able to use many of the old cards, it would be broken.
Anti-Francis Mart    
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    digibutter.nerr Forum Index -> General Discussion